Pizza recipe – topped with Kiwi, Chilli, Olives, Chives and Cheese
Take a bite at this unique version of pizza from my kitchen :).. This recipe is very simple and unbelievably tasty with these sizzling toppings and another secret being the homemade BASE & SAUCE !!.. so, don’t wait and take a quick bite ;)..
Ingredients: (for 1 large pizza)
for the base:
1.5 cups plain flour / All purpose flour / maida / standard flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
2 tsp oil
water as needed to make a medium-soft dough
for the sauce:
1 big tomato (chopped)
1 garlic (chopped)
2 Tbsp chopped onion
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp tomato sauce / ketchup
2 tsp oil
optional – 1/2 tsp chilli powder ( for spice lovers;)
2 Golden Kiwi ( You can use green kiwi or pineapple instead)
2 Tbsp – black olives
2 medium-hot chilli or ( 1 red/green Bell pepper )
1/4 cup chopped Chives
2 cups (Mozzarella, Cheddar, Parmesan mixed-cheese) or you can just use the mozzarella cheese
Step 1) Make the dough:
Activate the yeast by adding it into 1/2 cup of lukewarm water and let it sit for 5 minutes. In a bowl, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and stir. Add the yeast water and mix. Pour little water at a time and make a medium-soft dough. Dust with flour and knead the dough for a minute. Coat the dough with 2 tsp of oil,cover and let it sit for an hour.
Step 2) Make the sauce:
Heat a sauce pan and pour the oil. Add the chopped garlic and onion and saute on medium-heat for 2 minutes or until soft. Add the chopped tomato and cook for 3 – 4 minutes until soft. ( optional – Add the red chilli powder and mix for 5 seconds). Add the salt, tomato sauce and cook on medium-heat until the mixture thickens. (Can take from 3 – 5 minutes).
(note: please see my video for the sauce consistency tip)
Step 3) Get ready with the toppings:
- peel and slice the kiwi into 1/4″ slices or chop them.
- slice the olives if whole
- chop the chilli or bellpepper into 1″slices
- finely chop the chives
- take the required amount of cheese ( I used around 2 cups of mixed-cheese)
Step 4) Let’s make the pizza :)..
- First, preheat the oven to 200 C / 375 F
- Grease the pizza tray with 2 tsp of oil
- Gently place the dough on the greased pizza tray and flatten with your fingers to form a circle shape (if the dough sticks, coat your finger tips with oil and flatten)
note: The above mentioned way will give you the restaurant style base :).. alternatively, you can roll the dough with a rolling pan and then place on the tray.
- Evenly spread the sauce on top
- Scatter half of cheese
- Arrange half of the chopped chilli / bellpepper on top
- Top with olives, kiwi and some cheese
- Evenly scatter the chives
- Finally, finish with the remaining chilli / bellpepper and the cheeeeese…
Step 5) Now place the tray into the preheated oven and bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until you see random orange spots on top of cheese.
note: The oven timing can vary, it can take from 10 – 20 minutes. The best tip is to watch for orange spots on cheese (not evenly but randomly on top) and take out at this stage.
Step 6) Get ready with your plates as your pizza is almost ready :).. ding ding.. pizza ready..take them out of the oven and place on a mat. Slowly release the sides of the pizza with a flat spatula and take out to a pizza server plate.
note: Wait for a minute and then cut the pizza drrr drrr drrr.. and take a bite now :D..