Soft Idli & tomato chutney recipe ( for 2+ teeth baby, toddlers & kids )
Idli recipe ( perfect idli batter to make soft & spongy idli’s )
4 cups – idli rice ( or dosa rice )
1 tsp – fenugreek seeds ( methi/uluva/venthayam)
-> for 1 cup urad dal, add 4 cups rice ( ratio is 1 : 4 )
-> other names of urad dal – (urid / mah ki dal / manh di dal / mash dal )
-> Instead of idli rice, you can also use dosa rice or raw rice
next grind ..
Step 4) Add salt to taste and mix for a minute. Cover and let it rise (ferment) overnight or for 12 – 15 hours ..
next day .. make idli’s ..
Do not mix the batter after it has risen, as it can break the air bubbles and results in less spongy or hard idli’s ..
- Pour water into idli steamer ..
- Put the heat on high.. Cover and bring it to a boil..
- Grease the idli mould/tray with little oil ..
- ( DO NOT MIX THE IDLI BATTER ) Just scoop the batter and fill the idli holes ( do not over fill ) ..Once the water starts boiling in the idli-steamer, reduce the heat & place the idli moulds/tray ..
- Cover with a lid, turn the heat to medium-high and steam the idli’s for 10 minutes ..
- After 10 minutes, idli will be ready ( You can also check by inserting a knife into the idli’s. If it’s clean, the idli’s are ready ).. Do not over cook, as it can harden the idli’s ..
- Carefully remove the idli trays ..
- Sprinkle some boiled and cooled water over idli’s.. and let it sit for 2 minutes ( before removing from trays) ..
- To remove, slide a small spoon around the idli and scoop out the idli..
Serve with your favourite chutney, sambar or below tomato chutney ( babies, toddlers & kids love it 😀
Tomato Chutney Recipe
1/4 tsp – mustard seeds
pinch – cumin seeds
2 – dried red chilli ( whole )
1 – garlic ( chopped or crushed)
pinch – asafoetida ( hing )
1 sprig – curry leaves
1 – onion (chopped)
5 – tomatoes
1/4 tsp – turmeric powder
1/4 tsp – chilli powder
salt to taste
- Heat pan.. pour 1 tbsp oil
- add 1/4 tsp mustard seeds,1/4 tsp cumin seeds, 2 dried red chillies
- add curry leaves & crushed garlic
- add 1 chopped onion and cook until onion turns soft
- add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp chilli powder, pinch of hing
- add 5 chopped tomato and cook on high heat for 1 minute
- add salt to taste
- Cover and cook on medium-heat for 10 minutes..
Tomato chutney ready ! .. Serve with Dosa, appam or idli .. Enjoy ! 😀
babies, toddlers & kids love tomato chutney.. If your little one is fussy about easing idli, dosa or appam, you can serve with this chutney ! ..
Tips & Extras:
- For 2+ teeth baby, shred half idli with fork,add 2 tsp of tomato chutney, mix and feed ..
- You can refrigerate the idli batter for upto 4 days..
TIP #4: For soft & spongy idli’s, use the batter within 3 days as more moisture from refrigeration can result in hard idli’s ..
Hope you will try this idli & tomato chutney recipe ! .. Please share your tips & tricks below !.. Thank you 😀