Butter Chicken Recipe / Chicken Makhani Recipe / Butter Chicken Masala Recipe
This could be the most delicious Butter Chicken / Chicken Makhani recipe you would have ever had.. with the fresh garam masala, the right amout of ingredients and a twist to the regular method of cooking makes this butter chicken lusciously lip-smacking ! Well, let’s try this for real :).. the recipe begins..
Watch Butter chicken video :
Ingredients: ( For Butter Chicken Recipe Serves 5 – 6 )
For the sauce / gravy : ( for step 1 )
2 – cloves
2 – cardamom
2″ – cinnamon piece
1/2 tsp – fennel seeds or ( lakhnavi saunf – tiny fennel seeds )
1″ – ginger piece (chopped)
3 – garlic cloves (chopped)
2 – medium Onion ( red onion adds more color and flavour )
5 – tomato
1/2 tsp – salt
1Tbsp – Oil
Make fresh garam masala by powdering these ingredients: ( for step 2 )
( 3 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1″ cinnamon, star anise – 2 petals, shah jeera – 3/4 tsp, cumin seeds – 1/3 tsp ) – note: save 1/2 tsp of this garam masala for final butter chicken masala and add the remaining for marinating chicken (in step 3).
For marinating chicken : ( for step 3 )
3 boneless chicken breasts – ( cut into cubes )
1 tsp – ginger paste
1 tsp – garlic paste
1/2 tsp – turmeric powder
1.5 tsp – kashmiri chilli powder
2 tsp – coriander powder
2 tsp – fennel powder
fresh garam masala powder ( you made in step 2)
3/4 tsp – salt ( or to taste ),
1 tbsp – chopped coriander leaves
3 Tbsp – yogurt (thick)
1/2 tsp – mustard oil ( or any oil )
For Final butter chicken masala : (for step 7)
1/4 cup butter
2 tsp oil
salt to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp deggi mirch powder or kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tsp – methi leaves / fenugreek leaves
1 tsp – sugar
1/4 cup – cream
2 Cups – Water
1 Tbsp – chopped coriander leaves
1/2 tsp – saved garam masala ( the 1/2 tsp fresh garam masala you saved in step 2 )
Don’t be scared by looking at the long list of ingredients 😀 … I have made it easy with simple and easy to follow steps :).. and the final result – you get to enjoy :)..
Step 1) Make the sauce / gravy : (with ‘for the sauce/gravy ingredients’)
- Heat a pan and pour oil
- Add the Onion and saute for 10 seconds
- Add the cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, fennel seeds and mix for 5 seconds..
- Add the chopped ginger, garlic and saute for a minute..
- Add the chopped tomato and mix on high for a minute.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt. Reduce to medium and cook for 8 – 10 minutes or until the tomato is soft and mushy.
- Turn off the heat. Let it cool for 30 minutes and then grind it to a smooth sauce / gravy.
Step 2) Make fresh garam masala : (with ‘make fresh garam masala ingredients’)
- Into a dry blender, add ( 3 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1″ cinnamon, star anise – 2 petals, shah jeera – 3/4 tsp, cumin seeds – 1/3 tsp ) and grind until fine powder.
- note: save 1/2 tsp of this fresh garam masala for final butter chicken masala and add the remaining for marinating chicken ( in step 3).
Step 3) Marinate the chicken : (with ‘for marinating chicken ingredients’)
- Into a bowl, add all the spices ( turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder, fennel powder, fresh garam masala powder), salt, ginger garlic paste, coriander leaves, yogurt, oil and make a thick paste.
- Coat the chicken with this thick paste and keep aside for 15 minutes.
Step 5) Arrange the marinated chicken pieces in the foil and bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until the moisture in the foil is 90% dry.
Step 6) Once the chicken is done, release the chicken from the foil and cover with the same foil to keep it warm and soft.. ( If you want to taste some, go ahead.. this is sooo nom nom yummy 😉
Step 7) Make the Final Butter Chicken Masala : ( with ‘for final butter chicken masala ingredients’ )
- Heat a heavy pan and add the butter ( keep the heat on low )
- To this, add the baked chicken pieces and coat with the butter for 30 seconds..( smells really good at this stage :)..
- Move the chicken to one side of pan, pour 2 tsp of oil and add the turmeric powder and deggi mirch or kashmiri chilli powder and mix for 10 seconds..( deggi mirch gives intense red color and strong chilli flavour)
- Mix everything together and pour the ground sauce/gravy you made in step 1 along with 2 cups of water.
- Add salt to taste. Bring it to a boil.
- Once it stats boiling, reduce to medium and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the methi leaves ( crush with your fingers and add), sugar and mix..
- Add the saved 1/2 tsp fresh garam masala (you made in step 2) and mix.
- Reduce to medium-low and cook for 10 mintues..
- After 10 mintues, add salt if needed and reduce the heat to low
- Add the coriander leaves and mix.
- Add the cream and mix. Simmer for 3 minutes on low heat and Turn OFF.
- Butter Chicken Masala … Ready ! :)..
Serve with Naan, Rice, Roti, Appam, Parata or anything thats pops in your mind :).. I always go with Naan ( the day I make this butter chicken Masala ) and the leftover with appam or rice .. What is your favourite choice.. share here :)..